Secret Beach © Dan Leffel
OREGON COAST COVID-19 PHOTO THERAPY TOUR
NOV 8-15, 2020
with Jeremy Woodhouse & Tonya Colson
Join me and Tonya Colson (an Oregonian of 30 years) on a 7-day tour of the Oregon Coast. We will be there in early November, the crowds will be gone—we will have the place to ourselves.
We will be conducting the tour in a responsible Covid-19 fashion. You will drive in your own vehicle (or a rental), we will keep tripods 6 feet apart, and we will be eating outside where possible, and in small groups when it is not possible. We WILL use masks when necessary.
It has been 7 months since I have travelled outside Texas and I am eager to get back into nature. If you are interested in this landscape photography tour, please contact me as soon as possible.
Tidal Pool © Dan Leffel
Heceta Head Lighthouse © Dan Leffel
Pre-tour, Nov 8: Arrive Portland, OR
On arrival in Portland you will make your own way to the hotel in your own vehicle. The group will meet at 7PM in the lobby to discuss the week's activities. Please bring your masks.
O/N Radisson Hotel Portland Airport
Just three miles from Portland International Airport (PDX), Radisson Hotel Portland Airport provides a quiet and comfortable retreat for busy travelers. Hop on our free, 24-hour shuttle to and from the airport for easy connections, or book one of our park-and-stay packages and leave your car at the hotel for up to 15 days.
Day 1, Nov 9: Portland | Brookings | Bandon
Low Tide 12:32PM; High Tide 6:53AM, 5:55PM
Today we will make the drive down south to the Oregon/California border. Arriving mid-afternoon, oiur initial destination will be Secret Beach where we will photograph until sunset.
Sunset at Secret Beach**
Find the trail entrance to Secret Beach about 1/3 mile south of milepost 345 on U.S. 101 in Samuel H. Boardman State Scenic Corridor. There is a small gravel parking area that leads to the 3/4 mile trail down to Secret Beach. Visit at low tide.
Once the sun has gone down we head north up the 101 to Bandon where we will spend the next 2 nights.
O/N Sunset Motel
Family owned and operated for four generations, Sunset Oceanfront Lodging is beautifully situated on high ground overlooking a sandy beach, majestic sea stacks, and the Pacific Ocean.
**Meeting Spot for Secret Beach
Day 2, Nov 10: Bandon
Low Tide 1:12AM, 2:02PM; High Tide 7:59AM, 7:43PM
Low Tide 2:08AM, 2:59PM; High Tide 8:59AM, 9:09PM
Low Tide 3:10AM, 4:04PM; High Tide 9:37AM, 10:12PM
Oregon Coast © Dan Leffel
Florence Bridge © Dan Leffel
Newport Bridge © Dan Leffel
Yaquina Head Lighthouse © Dan Leffel
Arrival & Meeting Place
We will meet at the Radisson Hotel Portland Airport. Just three miles from Portland International Airport (PDX), Radisson Hotel Portland Airport provides a quiet and comfortable retreat for busy travelers. Hop on our free, 24-hour shuttle to and from the airport for easy connections, or book one of our park-and-stay packages and leave your car at the hotel for up to 15 days.
Daily high temperatures decrease by 5°F, from 59°F to 54°F, rarely falling below 48°F or exceeding 65°F.
Daily low temperatures decrease by 4°F, from 48°F to 44°F, rarely falling below 36°F or exceeding 55°F.
For reference, on August 24, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Bandon typically range from 54°F to 66°F, while on December 20, the coldest day of the year, they range from 42°F to 53°F.
Hopefully we will be able to experience some of the coastal storms that Oregon is famous for rather than a series of clear blue sky days.
TOUR COST: $1,800
Group size 6
Tour Price Includes
- Guiding to locations, local knowledge of weather patterns, favorable tides and surf, and best locations based on those conditions
- One on one instruction both in the field and post processing sessions during our down time
- Post processing sessions. (we will have a post processing session where we sit down together go over workflow and post processing techniques, all with masks
- The pleasure of travelling with Tonya and me.
Tour Price Excludes
- Travel to and from Portland, OR.
- Lodging: Information on lodging options and locations will be sent out upon signup
- Transportation: Because of Covid-19 we expect participants to use their own transport. If you are coming with a friend and you trust that they are Covid-free, that works. There will be NO group transportation
- Fees: Parking fees and State Park entry fees
- Meals: We will be careful when eating meals with social distance of paramount importance. All meals are the responsibility of the participant.
Paying by check
If you would like to pay your deposit and/or balance with a check, please make the check payable to: Pixelchrome, Inc and mail it to:
Paying by Wire Transfer
If you would like to pay by Wire Transfer please contact email@example.com for bank account details.
Dress for the Weather
- Important note on weather and clothing: In November, weather can be chilly
- Bring waterproof clothing
- We recommend you bring rubber boots so that you can photograph in the surf without getting your feet too wet
- Bring you own laptop computer and storage media
- Camera body(s)
- Lenses, 16-35mm, 24-70mm zoom and 70-200mm zoom or similar lenses are very good
- Light bag for easy hiking with camera bodies and accessories
- Cleaning kit for cameras and lenses
- Rain/dust covers for cameras and lenses
- Charger for batteries
- Spare batteries
- Spare Memory cards
- Memory card reader
- USB key to exchange images
Also good to have
- Good quality polarizing filter
Oregon Coast Hotels
Day 1 & 2, Nov 9-10: Bandon
Breakfast will be a grab 'n go bagged muffin, yoghurt and apple sauce.
$144.05 incl tax
Day 3, Nov 11: Yachats (check-in 4:00PM)
Dublin House Motel
Breakfast not included
Day 4, Nov 12: Lincoln City
Breakfast not included
This is a Covid-19 first responder hotel
Day 5 & 6, Nov 13-14: Astoria
Grab 'n Go Breakfast
$141.55 plus tax
Day 7, Nov 14: Portland
Instructors will wear masks while teaching at close range
Clients are encouraged to wear masks whenever they are at close range
Where possible, we will practice social distancing. Tripods 6ft apart.
You are encouraged to wash hands frequently and use hand sanitiser. Bring a cloth to wipe down your tripod each day. This will serve 2 purposes. Get rid of any nasty bacteria and remove salt from the ocean spray.
Covid-19 Travel Hacks from Kayak.com
Medjet was the first to implement the air-medical transport membership concept in the United States in 1991 and still today brings the highest level of service and detail to our members in their times of need.
While transport of hospitalized Covid-19 patients was not possible during the initial phase of the pandemic, we are pleased to inform you that:
- Medjet is now able to transport a member hospitalized with Covid-19, while traveling in the contiguous 48 United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean Islands, to a hospital of their choice at home. We are the only membership program to have added this benefit.
- We have been working to source enough aircraft with isolation pods, and crews with proper training, to provide our members with the same hospital-to-hospital medical transport benefits that we’ve always provided, at the level of service our members have come to expect.
- Broader international transport for Covid-19 is not yet available, but all other hospitalization events that Medjet typically transports for remain covered.
We understand that many of you are looking to travel Internationally, and we continue to monitor the situation closely. When the industry can safely and effectively accommodate our members around the globe, Medjet will look to expand this offering.
Please review and become familiar with the Specialized Covid-19 Transfer process outlined on the CORONAVIRUS UPDATE page on our website at:
An updated list of covered locations is also available there. A full set of Rules & Regulations, including the new Covid-19 transport language, is now available on our website at: