OREGON COAST SCENIC LANDSCAPES
28 APRIL-7 MAY, 2021
with Jeremy Woodhouse & Tonya Colson
Join me and Tonya Colson (an Oregonian of 30 years) on a 10-day tour of the Oregon Coast. We will be there in late April/early May, so the summer crowds will not yet be there.
We will be conducting the tour in a responsible Covid-19 fashion. You will drive in your own vehicle (or a rental), we will keep tripods 6 feet apart, and we will be eating outside where possible, and in small groups when it is not possible. We WILL use masks when necessary.
Day 2, Apr 30: Brookings | Bandon
Table Rock Motel is located atop Beach Loop Bluff in beautiful Bandon, Oregon and is just steps away from beach access to miles of sandy beaches and stunning rock formations.
Perched on rugged sandstone cliffs high above the ocean, Shore Acres State Park is an exciting and unexpected combination of beautiful natural and constructed features. Once the grand estate of pioneer timber baron Louis Simpson, Shore Acres features lushly planted gardens with plants and flowers from all over the world. Something is in bloom almost every day of the year. You can skirt the cliff's edge to see spectacular ocean vistas which often include towering waves crashing against the shoreline after a storm and migrating grey whales.
Sunrise at the Heceta Lighthouse
Oregon Coast © Dan Leffel
Yaquina Head Lighthouse © Dan Leffel
Arrival & Meeting Place
We will meet at the Radisson Hotel Portland Airport. Just three miles from Portland International Airport (PDX), Radisson Hotel Portland Airport provides a quiet and comfortable retreat for busy travelers. Hop on our free, 24-hour shuttle to and from the airport for easy connections, or book one of our park-and-stay packages and leave your car at the hotel for up to 15 days.
Daily high temperatures decrease by 5°F, from 59°F to 54°F, rarely falling below 48°F or exceeding 65°F.
Daily low temperatures decrease by 4°F, from 48°F to 44°F, rarely falling below 36°F or exceeding 55°F.
For reference, on August 24, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Bandon typically range from 54°F to 66°F, while on December 20, the coldest day of the year, they range from 42°F to 53°F.
Hopefully we will be able to experience some of the coastal storms that Oregon is famous for rather than a series of clear blue sky days.
4 SPOTS OPEN
TOUR COST: $2,500
Group size 6
Tour Price Includes
- Guiding to locations, local knowledge of weather patterns, favorable tides and surf, and best locations based on those conditions
- One on one instruction both in the field and post processing sessions during our down time
- Post processing sessions. (we will have a post processing session where we sit down together go over workflow and post processing techniques, all with masks
- The pleasure of travelling with Tonya and me.
Tour Price Excludes
- Travel to and from Portland, OR.
- Lodging: Information on lodging options and locations will be sent out upon signup
- Transportation: Because of Covid-19 we expect participants to use their own transport. If you are coming with a friend and you trust that they are Covid-free, that works. There will be NO group transportation
- Fees: Parking fees and State Park entry fees
- Meals: We will be careful when eating meals with social distance of paramount importance. All meals are the responsibility of the participant.
Paying by check
If you would like to pay your deposit and/or balance with a check, please make the check payable to: Pixelchrome, Inc and mail it to:
Paying by Wire Transfer
If you would like to pay by Wire Transfer please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for bank account details.
Dress for the Weather
- Important note on weather and clothing: The Oregon Coast weather in April/May tends to stay in the upper 50s to low 60s. Nighttime temperatures drop to the mid to upper 40s. Days can alternate between clear skies and Northwest liquid sunshine (otherwise known as rain showers).
- Bring waterproof clothing
- We recommend you bring rubber boots so that you can photograph in the surf without getting your feet too wet
- Bring you own laptop computer and storage media
- Camera body(s)
- Lenses, 16-35mm, 24-70mm zoom and 70-200mm zoom or similar lenses are very good
- Good quality polarizing filter
- Remote trigger if you do not prefer using the camera self-timer
- Light bag for easy hiking with camera bodies and accessories
- Cleaning kit for cameras and lenses including a microfiber cloth for wiping off sea spray
- flashlight or headlamp incase we shoot stars on the beach on a clear night
- Rain/dust covers for cameras and lenses
- Charger for batteries
- Spare batteries
- Spare Memory cards
- Memory card reader
- USB key to exchange images
Oregon Coast Hotels
Hotel reservations have been made. All you will need to do on arrival is register and pay for your own room
Pre-tour, Apr 28: Portland
Ramada by Wyndham, Portland Airport (check-in 3:00PM)
Day 1, Apr 29: Brookings
Brookings Inn Resort (check-in 3:00PM)
Day 2, 3 & 4, Apr 30-May 2: Bandon
Table Rock Motel (check-in 3:00PM)
Breakfast not included
Day 5, May 3: Yachats
Dublin House Motel (check-in 4:00PM)
Breakfast not included
Day 6, May 4: Lincoln City
Seagull Motel (check-in 4:00PM)
Breakfast not included
This is a Covid-19 first responder hotel
Day 7 & 8, May 5 & 6: Astoria
Astoria Riverwalk Inn (check-in 3:00PM)
Grab 'n Go Breakfast
Day 9, May 7: Portland
Instructors will wear masks while teaching at close range
Clients are encouraged to wear masks whenever they are at close range
Where possible, we will practice social distancing. Tripods 6ft apart.
You are encouraged to wash hands frequently and use hand sanitiser. Bring a cloth to wipe down your tripod each day. This will serve 2 purposes. Get rid of any nasty bacteria and remove salt from the ocean spray.
Covid-19 Travel Hacks from Kayak.com
Medjet was the first to implement the air-medical transport membership concept in the United States in 1991 and still today brings the highest level of service and detail to our members in their times of need.
While transport of hospitalized Covid-19 patients was not possible during the initial phase of the pandemic, we are pleased to inform you that:
- Medjet is now able to transport a member hospitalized with Covid-19, while traveling in the contiguous 48 United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean Islands, to a hospital of their choice at home. We are the only membership program to have added this benefit.
- We have been working to source enough aircraft with isolation pods, and crews with proper training, to provide our members with the same hospital-to-hospital medical transport benefits that we’ve always provided, at the level of service our members have come to expect.
- Broader international transport for Covid-19 is not yet available, but all other hospitalization events that Medjet typically transports for remain covered.
We understand that many of you are looking to travel Internationally, and we continue to monitor the situation closely. When the industry can safely and effectively accommodate our members around the globe, Medjet will look to expand this offering.
Please review and become familiar with the Specialized Covid-19 Transfer process outlined on the CORONAVIRUS UPDATE page on our website at:
An updated list of covered locations is also available there. A full set of Rules & Regulations, including the new Covid-19 transport language, is now available on our website at: